Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Crafty Christmas

After six years of setting up Christmas, Ben and I have accumulated quite a lot of decorations.  I certainly have my favorites and also try to mix it up every year. This year, I wanted to get a little crafty.  I have not done this previously and have had a couple things in mind the last couple of years.  So, I got the supplies out.

The Branch-Twig Tree
I have wanted to do this for a couple of years.  It was so easy, I am not sure why I didn't.  My dad gathered (or maybe cut down) a nice branch for me that I then spray painted a warm white.  You could leave it natural too.  I glittered some of it, then stuck it in a $2 pot (which I also spray painted, sanded and glittered).  Then I added some 50 cent and $1 ornaments.
I am trying to keep the dining room neutral with golds, silvers and whites.  I added a book theme (you'll see) so I put this potted tree on a couple of books borrowed from the spare bedroom.

The Pottery Barn Book Wreath
OH MAN.  I saw this in their catalog last year and have wanted to make it sooooo bad.  It wasn't for sale, it was just a prop in one of their bedrooms.  I found a great tutorial here.  It was so easy, I made two.  I love it so much, I may find somewhere to keep them all year.
 Supplies gathered, a pizza box, a 50 cent book from Goodwill and some liquid fuel...oh and a glue gun.

 A colorful treat always helps the creative juices flow.

Lastly, the Better Homes and Garden yarn ball wreath:
Seriously, I have never been a wreath girl before.  This will be the first time we have had one hanging inside our house.  We typically keep to the Christmas door wreath.  But, when I saw this wreath, I thought it looked easy, cheap and my Mom convinced me it would in fact go with "our decor."  I love it.  Stella even tried to help me make yarn balls.  It was cute, but I have no pictures as the battery died.
 You can't see in the picture, but some of the yarn balls were made with a silver, sparkly yarn (fun!).

No comments:

Post a Comment